Counter Attack by Patricia Bradley

 

Counter Attack by Patricia Bradley is the first book in the new Pearl River series. 

Alexis Stone has been working in Chatanooga as a police detective when her grandfather has a heart attack. He asks her to fill in as interim sheriff in Alexis' hometown of Pearl Springs until he gets back on his feet. She had been trying to solve the Queens Gambit serial killer case when she left Chatanooga. The first day on the job as interim sheriff, the killer strikes again. Each time, the killer leaves a white chess game pawn and a note with a chess move printed on it. To solve the crime, Pearl Springs Police Chief, and Alexis high school sweetheart, Nathan Landry helps her track down the killer.

Counter Attack has a lot of action. I don't play chess but the chess pieces and the moves the killer left were interesting. At the same time, I didn't feel the suspense with this book that I have with other Bradley books. Maybe because, in this case, I figured out the killer early on in the book. There were a couple of plot-related things I wasn't sure about until the ending though, which did keep my interest. 

I thought the police work took center stage in this book. Alexis and Nathan didn't have much time alone together on a personal level. The connection that they had years ago left them with some sparks for a new relationship. For some reason, I didn't connect with either character real well. Still, I am still looking forward to the next book in the series and plan to continue on. Counter Attack is a good book--I just didn't think it was quite on par with the other books that I read by her, but still good.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through LibraryThing. All opinions within this review are my own. Counter Attack releases on May 16, 2023.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe