Dear Henry, Love Edith by Becca Kenzer

 

Are you looking for something lighter to read? If so, I would encourage you to give Dear Henry, Love Edith by Becca Kinzer a try. This wonderful debut novel had me laughing out loud more than a few times.

Edith is recently widowed and ready for a new adventure in life. She is planning to volunteer in South Africa but is waiting for her passport. While, she waits, Edith, who is a trained nurse, agrees to volunteer short-term in a small Midwestern town. Arrangements have been made for her to stay in the upstairs of a man whom she assumes is elderly because he can't walk upstairs.

Henry Hobbes is the man who can't walk upstairs--because he badly injured his knee and his been doing physical therapy in the small Midwestern town where everyone knows everyone else. His sister made the arrangements for Edith to stay with him while her house is being repaired, which is where Edith was originally going to stay. Henry also makes the assumption that Edith is elderly.

Through a series of mishaps and miscommunications, Henry and Edith become acquainted in some humorous ways. I love the notes they leave each other. I like how things work out when they finally realize who each other is. 

I totally enjoyed Dear Henry, Love Edith. I read it in a weekend and had a hard time putting it down. This is just the type of book that I have been wanting to read. I so enjoyed the humor and it also had some original areas. I could relate to Edith in so many ways. I like the whole take on adventure and the lessons that both Edith and Henry learned. Coming from a smaller town in the Midwest, I related to that whole aspect of the book too. While the book had humor, it also had me thinking about my own take on adventure in life. What does is mean to take an adventure in life? Do you have to go to the ends of the earth or are adventures close then that? This would be a great book for a book club to discuss and there are discussion questions in the back. If you are looking for a lighter read, along the lines of You've Got Mail, I highly recommend Dear Henry, Love Edith.

I checked this book out of the library. I actually requested the library order it in and they did! This helps authors too. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe