Julia Monroe Begins Again by Rebekah Millet

 

Cover Art

Julia Monroe just turned forty. She has been a widow for ten years and the single mom to two boys who are now in college. Now time for a fresh start for Julia in Julia Monroe Begins Again by Rebekah Millet. Bet her fresh start may be more than even she was hoping for.

What Julia doesn't count on is an old boyfriend coming to town and joining the church she attends. Samuel Reed is a handsome former Green Beret with an eye patch. He comes to New Orleans to start a new life too after his accident left him deciding not to re-enlist. Sparks fly with Julia and Samuel get together. Can they heal their wounds and make a new start together or is it too late for that?

I was really looking forward to Julia Monroe Begins Again. I have really been enjoying contemporary books with lighter elements this year and have read several. However, for me, this book just wasn't very funny. Humor is an individual thing and I know it isn't easy to write. I laughed a couple of times. However, mostly I thought the book dealt with some heavier topics like children born out of wedlock, relationship issues between partners, relationship issues with older grumpy parents, and more. From my perspective it felt like this book dealt with a lot of modern issues so with the stresses in my own life, I didn't find it to be a relaxing read. Since these things vary by the person, that may not be your thoughts. The book may be just what you need or want to read. Also, you may see the humor where I did not. I know Julia Monroe Begins Again is from a new author; I look forward to trying her next book as I think she has a lot of potential.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through JustRead Tours. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe