Her Part to Play by Jenny Erlingsson

 



Her Part to Play is a contemporary Christian debut novel by Jenny Erlingsson. This book features a couple growing to know each other on a movie set and around the town the movie is set in.

Adanne has had her share of losses as both her parents have passed away in the last few years. Her nephew is also fighting cancer. Now she is struggling financially to continue to run a community center that her parents started. To help out her financial situation, she takes a job as a make up artist for a local movie production. There she meets actor John Pope. John is a new Christian who is trying to make changes in his life after living life in the fast lane for several years. Adanne actually met him before when he lived life in the fast lane but John doesn't remember her. Can these two work together now?

I think Her Part to Play is a good first novel for this author. However, I had some trouble getting into it. That may all be on me as I wasn't prepared for a character to have a cancer diagnosis. After having my own cancer diagnosis a few years ago, I don't really enjoy books that include cancer in the storyline. I read the back of the book before selecting this title and there was no mention of cancer. The author handled everything well, it just isn't something I like to read about. 

I did think the two main characters' faith was well integrated for both John and Adanne. I also liked how the romance was a slow burn and it felt like a realistic timeline to get to know each other. Still, I struggled to connect with the characters but again, maybe that was just me. I would definitely try another book by this author in the future.  If you don't mind a storyline with cancer included then you may enjoy Her Part to Play.

I received a copy of this book from the  publisher. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Managing Your Emotions by Joyce Meyer