Book Review: Empty Promises: The Truth About You, Your Desires, and the Lies You're Believing by Pete Wilson


Pete Wilson's book, Empty Promises, had me right at the beginning. We live in a world that is constantly advertising how we can make more money, get bigger and better stuff, be the best, or be more beautiful. . .and those are just a few of the aspirations for many Americans. Our society says these things give us worth--and we buy into it. At least I know I have. Wilson says these things can easily become idols in our lives. I know I have never worshipped a golden statue but I'm pretty sure that I have put the god of approval first in my life as I tried to please way too many people for the wrong reasons.

As I read through this book, I was challenged to see the idols in my life, which is how I recognized that first one. As Wilson says, "The real question is not, 'Do you have idols?" We've already determined that the heart is an idol factory. The real question for any of us is this: Which idol is God's biggest rival in your life?"

Pete  Wilson helps identify some of the idols that we bow to but may not recognize, such as approval addiction, religion or seeking after beauty. Then he takes it all one step farther and helps the reader figure out how to replace that idol with God in a healthy way. The book weaves examples from the Bible, from Wilson's own life or those he knows personally and from other writers making it both easy to read and understand. I appreciate all of his ways to actively put God first--through worship, solitude, fasting and more. This is a book to read thoughtfully.

Wilson's story in chapter 6 moved me to tears as I read about his trip to India and what he saw there. That story touched me as well as several others in the book. I recommend everyone read this book and consider their idols.

I received this book at no charge from Booksneeze. I was not required to write a positive review.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman