Book Review: Unglued Devotional by Lysa Terkeurst


Last fall, I did a Bible study on-line through Melissa Taylor featuring Lysa Terkeurst's book, Unglued. Life has been messy for me the past few months with lots of changes and added stress. As a result, I was feeling emotionally frayed. The Unglued book did offer great ideas and encouragement to help me learn to not let my emotions rule and to roll better with the stress in my life. Even if you don't have big stresses right now, this book helps readers know how to healthfully process the feelings that come from times when others irritate us or criticize us--and most of us bump into "those" people, at least occasionally. Instead of stuffing or exploding, Lysa helps us make progress towards handling difficult situations better.

Lysa's latest book, Unglued Devotional, is another tool that I, and other readers, can now use to help reign in emotional reactions. Each devotion includes a daily opening Scripture, Thought for the Day, devotional reading, and closing prayer for a 60-day journey in learning to positively process raw emotions, such as fear, anger, and regret. If you have read Lysa's original book, like I have, then you will see some of the same stories featured in this book so you will see that there is some repetition. I don't see that as a bad thing. In trying to change habits, some repetition to change thoughts and reactions for the better is a good thing, from my point of view. I also think this book could stand on its own without the original book and be helpful to those wanting to change for the better. This book is a little smaller book in size, measuring 5 by 8 inches. I found it to be an easy size to take along to remind myself of the changes I want to make. The devotions were short enough to read on the go and glean something. Lysa encourages herself and her readers to just make healthy relational progress each day, something I think we can all do with the tools she offers.

I received this book from Zondervan through their Booksneeze program. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman