Book Review: Downside Up by Tracey Mitchell




Rejection. We've all faced it at one time or another in our lives. Downside Up by Tracey Mitchell takes a long look at rejection. She offers a plan to view rejection as a "golden opportunity" instead of a negative thing.

Tracey Mitchell offers personal advice from her experiences, other people's personal stories and Bible stories of people who have faced rejection like Joseph in the Old Testament. These stories help the reader feel like they are not alone in their times of rejection. The book offers some help on healing from past negative experiences and then she ends the book by offering ways to dream for the future. I found that aspect to be especially uplifting. Until this book, I don't think I personally realized how easy it is to let those who reject us or our ideas kill our dreams. That was an Aha moment for me.She also shares how we can't live in the past and go forward into the future. I could see clearly through her illustrations why this is not going to work and why it kills dreams. This book would be especially helpful for someone who is stuck in pain of rejection and having a hard time re-claiming their dreams.

The end of every chapter in this book offers a list of principles gleaned from the chapter, a verse from the Bible, a quote and a plan of action that offers something for the reader to do to help them grow or heal from rejection. I especially liked this way of ending each chapter. I thought it tied everything together and helped me remember the main points. The exercises she gives the reader to do are very helpful if one takes time to do them. I also wish I had a mentor or partner to do this book with as I think that would be especially helpful to personal growth. I also think this book is useful for someone who is looking to make changes in their life no matter how old they are. Anyone could benefit from putting Tracey Mitchell's principles to use.

I received this book from Thomas Nelson through the Booksneeze program. I was not required to give a positive review.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman