Book Review: Raising Cubby by John Elder Robison

Raising Cubby is aptly sub-titled A Father and Son's Adventures with Asperger's,Trains,Tractors, and High Explosives. This autobiography is an interesting look at the life of a not so typical dad, John, with his son, Cubby. 

John is diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at age 40. . .this book shares some of John and Cubby's adventures as John has a different approach to parenting than many other dads. The book is full of interesting adventures they share. . .I did find their adventures interesting. The book is fairly detailed though so I did not find it to be quick reading. I am glad I took the time to read it though as I enjoyed learning about John and Cubby. 

By the time Cubby is seventeen, Cubby's main interest is chemistry. That interest gets him into some trouble with the authorities and the book begins there, goes on to share the story leading up to that point and then ends there. . .with a brief epilogue of life afterwords.I was surprised when it started there but other than that it all flowed quite well. The back cover said the book is quite funny but I wasn't moved to laugh much. Again, I did find it interesting though and enjoyable. I would recommend it to anyone. 

 This book isn't geared to teach the reader about Asperger's. Yet, it does show some of what it is like to live with it or to live with someone who has it. We just received diagnosis of our son having Asperger's so I especially appreciated this aspect of the book. I think anyone who has Asperger's or is living with someone who has it would enjoy this book too. John Elder Robison is also the author of two other books about Asperger's and you can read more about those here: Author Bio

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. I was not required to write a positive review.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman