Book Review: Let's All Be Brave by Annie F. Downs



I wasn't sure I would fit in with this book. I wondered if I was too old for this book, but I liked the thought of "being brave" and "living life with everything you have." It turns out that I not only wasn't too old for this book, but I couldn't get enough of Let's All Be Brave. Annie Downs wrote a book that I think anyone of any age can relate to. I devoured the book in 2 days. I could have read it in one if I didn't have a life outside of reading, LOL.

Annie Downs admits she's not exactly the bravest girl in the world. Yet, she shares her stories, stories from her friends and family, and stories from the Bible to show how God enables us all to be brave. Her words flow in a way that I felt like we were sitting at Starbucks sharing caffeinated beverages and words like no one else is around to hear them. . .one on one with someone who understands that life is challenging for all of us but God really is bigger than those challenges if we take time to spend time with Him and hear His Voice and then do the next right thing for us.

 One of my favorite passages is on page 155 where Annie says, "I don't know how old you are. But I know the lie you hear. You are too young. You are too old. You don't know enough, or you know too much. The truth is that courage doesn't have an expiration date. courage doesn't have a marker that says, "You must be taller than THIS to ride this ride." . . ."You were meant to be brave." Wow, does that speak to a woman who is going to turn 50 this year. . .Yes, I just outed myself with my age. . .But when I read Being Brave, I feel like I can deal with this mile marker age and I can still have a lot to offer this life and God. I just have to keep using the talents I have and doing the next best thing I believe God wants me to. Not that that is as easy as it sounds, but this book helps me see that if I just breathe and take this courage thing one step at a time with God that I really can make it to the finish line some day.

I received this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman