Book Review: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo


Over the past 3 years, my husband and I have sold one house and moved and are now in process of moving again. During this time, I have done quite a bit of decluttering and de-owning. Yet, as we prepare to move again, I wondered if I could do more so I  read Marie Kondo's book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.

This is a great little book to read and learn from as you seek to declutter and organize your home or apartment. I like that the book is small so I took it back and forth the past 2 weeks as we are in transition to move. It easily fit in my purse to pull out and read whenever I had a few minutes to spare.

Marie Kondo  runs an acclaimed consulting business in Tokyo helping clients transform their cluttered homes into spaces of serenity and inspiration. With a three-month waiting list, her KonMari Method of decluttering and organizing has become an international phenomenon. In the life-changing magic of tidying up, she shares her experiences, what led her to create this current method of decluttering homes and how you can apply this method to your house.

I found this book to be interesting and helpful. I did already have a head start on decluttering so some of what she shared I had already done. She says that people have items spread out through the house like shirts, etc. and asks that they gather all like items together. Maybe I am strange as I had already done this. At the same time, I learned several other things from her technique that proved helpful to me. I can see when we complete our move that I could use this method and make the new house decluttered and keep it that way. She does share some things that sound uniquely Japanese but it is easy to take what works for our western homes and apply it. I would recommend the book to anyone wanting to declutter and keep a tidy home.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for the book.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman