Modern Potluck by Kristen Donnelly



My husband's family gets together a few times a year for special occasions with a potluck meal together. Occasionally we go to a church or neighborhood potluck or the yearly potluck family reunion with my family. While I usually bring an old favorite, I thought Modern Potluck by Kristin Donnelly might offer some new ideas for a traveling dish.

I especially enjoyed reading the introduction and cook's notes in Modern Potluck as I wasn't familiar with this author's background. She also offers some great advice and ideas here and throughout the book. She shares her tips on making perfect hard-boiled eggs, on choosing the right salt, cooking beans, tips on making a great fruit salad, and various other helpful hints.

Recipe chapters in Modern Potluck include: Snacks, Dips and Drinks; Main Course Salads & Other Room Temperature Main Dishes; Slow-Cooked and Served Hot; The 9 X 13 inch Pan: Casserole and the Like; Supporting-Role salads & Sides; Baked and Savory; Sweets; and Condiments and Other Things in Jars. The recipes that really caught my eye were: several types of deviled eggs, Chinese Chicken Salad, Cornmeal-Crusted Oven-Fried Chicken to serve cold (gluten free optional), Healthy Root Vegetable Gratin, Many Bean Salad,  Roasted and Raw Brussels Sprouts Salad, Vegetarian Borscht Salad, Mollys Scallion Pull-apart Bread, and Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake. I wanted to make the Bundt Cake for my review but my Bundt pan is smaller than the 12-cup Pan required for the recipe.

I liked that Modern Potluck has so many helpful tips and hints for potluck. I also like the full color pictures throughout the book that accompany nearly all of the recipes. One thing that I didn't like in this book was that some recipes require you to weigh the food called for in ounces, instead of giving the amount needed in cups. I know that can be a good thing but it isn't as handy for me in my kitchen. Otherwise, I think Modern Potluck would be a good addition to any cookbook library.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman