Finding Selah by Kristen Kill


Selah is one of those words that I have read in the Psalms, but I never quite understood it. In Finding Selah, Kristen Kill helped me learn just what this word means and how God can use Selah in our lives today. Throughout Finding Selah, she shares her story of growing her large family with her husband and how God also helped her find peace when she needed it.

I imagine many of us can relate to Kill's story. Our own lives have a different set of characters and set locations but many of us are beyond busy in caring for others and longing for peace in our lives. Early on in the book, Kill defines what Selah means. While she explains it several places so that we can apply it to our own lives, simply put, it is the pause between the notes in a song (psalm). For those who wrote the psalms, it was "a chance to stop and listen to the song God was singing over them." Kill learned to listen to God in the midst of her story and encourages readers to do the same. Kill says, "When we wind selah into the regular days and rhythms of our life, we are knitting in the delight of God, the presence of God and the gifts of God."

Finding Selah is one of those books that I like to savor slowly, letting the words touch my soul in all the places they need to. I don't feel my review is doing it justice, but reading Kill's personal story woven in between Scripture and her encouragement to turn to God as a source of peace and rest was so uplifting to me. Kill also spoke to me in Chapters 11 and 12 where she shares her struggles with scarcity and fully trusting God for the good things. I could understand so much of what she was saying there. Kill opens up and shares from her heart both the good things and the hard things she has experienced to offer hope to readers that God "is singing over you." I would encourage anyone in need of hope and refreshment from God to read Finding Selah.

I received this book from Zondervan. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman