Winning Your Blood Sugar Battle by Richard Furman, MD, FACS


More than thirty million Americans have diabetes. Another eighty-four million have elevated blood sugar levels that put them at risk for developing type 2 diabetes. These statistics from the back of the book cover of Winning Your Blood Sugar Battle by Richard Furman look staggering to me. I do not have that diagnosis and I do not want it so I want to do what I can to prevent it. Whether you have high blood sugar or you want to prevent it, Dr. Furman has a book full of information that can help.

Winning Your Blood Sugar Battle is divided in to two parts: Understanding Diabetes and Defeating Diabetes: Lifestyle choices for your health. Dr. Furman tells plainly how diabetes can start and how to prevent it. He backs all of his information up with solid statistics and information from studies as well as his own work with patients. Dr. Furman addresses these issues from the point of view of a doctor that has worked as a vascular surgeon for more than thirty years.

I found Winning Your Blood Sugar Battle to be easy to understand and a book that could be helpful to anyone wanting to keep their blood sugar under control. He gives solid information in layman's terms and backs it all up, which I appreciate. I wish I could get some loved ones to read this book and make the changes to lower their blood sugar. Unfortunately, I think this book is most helpful to someone who truly WANTS to make changes and improve their health. I found the information to be redundant and preachy in a couple of places, but I think that Dr. Furman does that to drive the information home to those who don't really want to hear it but truly need it. I also thought that this information was clearly up-to-date and relevant for our modern times. However, I am not sure about his information on eggs. He backs up his stance but I have read other studies that contradict his information, so I am not sure about this. I also like that he shared how he gave up his favorite food, cheese, for his own health after cleaning out a patient's carotid artery. Even though he encourages readers to follow a strict plan, he also follows what he preaches which is admirable. I would encourage anyone to read Winning Your Blood Sugar Battle who wants to make their health a priority and add years to their life--especially those who are newly diagnosed with diabetes or high blood sugar. Finally, I would add that I like that Dr. Furman is a Christian and shares his faith with the reader at the end of the book.

I received this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman