The Words Between Us by Erin Bartels


I confess I am a sucker for a beautiful cover and this one grabbed me right away. However, Erin Bartels' new novel, The Words Between Us, is every bit as fascinating as the cover.

Robin Windsor has been trying to escape the association between her and her infamous parents ever since they were incarcerated. At that time, she was sent to live with a grandmother under an assumed name through a program to protect her and keep her safe while her high profile parents were tried and convicted. She met Peter Flynt while she lived there. Peter and Robin read through the classics together--until things fall apart and Robin starts running again. However, her love of books continued to keep her grounded and feeling safe, which is why she opened her own bookstore. She feels safe until the morning of her father's scheduled execution when she receives a book from Peter in the mail. What does it mean?

I felt like I was living in The Words Between Us right along with Robin. There is an easy rhythm between Then and Now as she goes back and forth between her teenage years and her adult life she is currently living. I kept turning pages and read this book quickly to find out what happened. I especially liked the themes of forgiveness and conquering fears, which I think many people could relate to. I also thought it was especially fun that Bartels had a parrot be a key character in this book since I have a parakeet. There were also some surprises at the end that I didn't expect. I found the book to be a different and refreshing novel in the Christian market today. I highly recommend The Words Between Us as an individual read, but I also think it would make for some great book club discussions.
 
I received this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman