In The Cradle Lies by Olivia Newport


Tucker is on the run from some family secrets--and to a ski destination to think about skiing and finding a historic ski slope called Hidden Run that hasn't been a working ski run in many years. Can Tucker find the long-ago used ski slope and ski it while he is staying Canyon Mines? Can he forget his family history for a few days so he doesn't have to think about the last words of his grandfather who recently passed away? In The Cradle Lies by Olivia Newport tells both Tucker's story and his grandfather's history through a dual timeline.

I did enjoy The Inn at Hidden Run, the first book in the Tree of Life series. However, I think In the Cradle Lies was even better than the first one. This story kept me turning pages to find out more of Tucker's background and to find out what happened to Tucker to cause him to be such a reckless spender and skier. Not only that but there was one surprise that I wouldn't have seen coming except it was alluded to on the back of the book. I didn't really like the Tucker that was struggling with some issues but I did like the guy who faced his struggles and wasn't normally reckless. I didn't like his great grandfather Judd or Judd's choices throughout the book, but I liked that his grandfather stood up to him even though he felt bound to do things a certain way. I could understand why he made the choices he did. I also liked that there were secondary struggles faced in Jillian and Nolan's family. I think this series is so good in that it reminds us that every family has some challenges and sins from the past that likely affect future generations. I also thought it was realistic in that it showed that the reactions we have to those sins can affect others today and we need to be responsible for what we do with what we know to make good choices. I am already looking forward to the next book in the series. When I Meet You releases in May of 2020 but there is a brief preview at the end of In the Cradle Lies.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman