Standoff by Patricia Bradley






Standoff by Patricia Bradley  is the first book in the Natchez Trace Park Rangers series and it is the first book that I have read by this author.

Luke Fereday and Brooke Danvers are old friends and neighbors. Luke arrives back in Natchez too late to save Brooke's father, John, from being killed as he tries to stop a drug deal. Brooke is determined to find out who her father's murderer is--but she may not be safe either. Together, can they find the culprit?

There are quite a few secondary characters in Standoff. One of which is Daisy, Luke's grandmother. I liked her a lot. She was the one person who most reflected her faith and it felt authentic. I also liked that Bradley gave a nod to author Rachel Hauck through her. Otherwise, I struggled to connect with many of the characters. I especially didn't like Brooke's over protective friend, Emma. Honestly, while I did root for Luke and Brooke, I didn't feel real warm about them. I wanted them to find the killer because I did really enjoy the plot. I wasn't sure who the killer was until the end of Standoff. The plot was fast moving with a few side tracks so I wasn't sure at all how it would turn out until the very end. I thought the story was quite well done. The cover is a real draw too. It gives me a sense that Brooke is looking over her shoulder to watch her back, which she definitely needed to do. In the back of Standoff, there is a preview to the next book in the series that features Emma--and maybe I will like her more as the series goes along. I do look forward to finding out in the next book.

I received a copy of this book from the Revell Reads Blogger Program. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman