Brave: A Teen Girl's Guide to Beating Worry and Anxiety by Sissy Goff
When I was an older teenage girl, there were times I worried about things. Sissy Goff's new book, Brave: A Teen Girl's Guide to Beating Worry and Anxiety, is a good book for teenage girl's today who face that same struggle. I wish I had had this book growing up.
Brave starts out with a not to the parent who bought the book. i will be honest, I thought this was kind of a strange way to start the book as I was buying my own books as a teenager and no parent would have bought it for me. However, there is some good advice for parents in this chapter as well as a reference to book for parents by the same author for those who may be interested. Then she has an introduction for the teenage reader. The next chapter is Goff's rules for reading the book, which are really just some good advice to remember that it is your own book and you can answer and do what you need to do to process the answers on your own.
Brave is then divided in to three sections: Understanding is the first one. What is anxiety, why might you be feeling this way, and how the book can help you. The next section is Help. Help for your body, your mind and your heart. The third section is Hope. You may have struggles but take heart, God can help you over come them. Each section contains three chapters. Each chapter has some advice, some stories to relate to and some spaces to write. They each end with "A Few Brave Things to Remember." This book is written for teens who either believe in the Bible or are open to believing in the Bible as Scripture is often referenced throughout the book.
I truly would have liked to have had a book like Brave when I struggled with anxiety at times as a teenager. I think it could be helpful to many young women. Goff is a licensed mental health professional and the director of child and adolescent Counseling at Daystar Counseling Ministries in Nashville, TN. Her expertise comes through in the book. It would also be a helpful book for young women to use while working with a counselor as well as on their own.
I received this book from the publisher. All opinions within this review are my own.
Comments
Post a Comment