The Miracle Collectors by Joan Luise Hill and Katie Mahon
Have you ever been given a miracle? Would you know one if you saw it? The Miracle Collectors by Joan Luise Hill and Katie Mahon share their own miracle stories, as well as the stories of others.
The Miracle Collectors starts out with a prologue explaining how the authors became interested in miracles and how they united to write this book. This chapter also defines what a miracle is. Then the book is divided into three sections: Becoming Aware, Deepening Connection and Finding Meaning. Throughout the book, the authors share stories that other people shared with them about miracles that they experienced. In between the real-life stories, the authors connect them with analysis and other spiritual information. While it is interesting, to a certain degree I felt this bogged the book down in some places. To a degree, the book felt more like a dissertation on the subject than a relaxed discussion.
I did enjoy The Miracle Collectors as a whole. I liked the uplifting and inspiring stories of miracles, even though I felt like some of their prose was a little weighty. I would also add that this book is not directed at evangelical Christians. Rather, it is a spiritual discussion of miracles. Quotes through the book come from a variety of religious leaders.
I did like how the authors concluded each chapter of The Miracle Collectors with questions to reflect on and some space to write about it. I did think that helped me reflect on how miracles may have played out in my own life. There is also a reading group guide in the back that could be helpful if your book club decides to read the book. I do think The Miracle Collectors would be a good choice for a book club read that could lead to some interesting discussions. Because it is more of a general spiritual discussion it could draw people in from various religions and backgrounds.
I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments
Post a Comment