The Most Beautiful Disaster by Hope Carpenter

 

 

Hope Carpenter had a good life going. She married a mega church pastor. She had children she loved. She had a job she loved with her husband at the church. Then everything falls apart--until she gets healing and God helps her find a better life. 

The Most Beautiful Disaster by Hope Carpenter is mostly a self-help book if you are someone who is struggling with mistakes in your past and  want to transform your life with God's help. Carpenter tells her story throughout the book--how she struggled and put on a mask to cover her insecurities as she started out her married life. Then she shares how everything fell apart, little by little, until she really messed up big and admitted her second affair to her husband. He then kicked her out of the house and she spent 8 months in intensive Christian therapy. She draws on that experience, as well as Bible verses, to offer advice to readers on how they can also climb out of a pit if they have their life in a mess too.

The Most Beautiful Disaster was a little different than I expected. It was more self-help than memoir but definitely a bit of both. I think it could be a helpful book for a lot of Christian readers. I especially found the chapters on forgiveness and trust to be helpful and well-written. It could also be a helpful book to use along with a professional counselor. Each chapter offers some advice, some Bible stories and a part of Carpenter's story. Then the very end of the book concludes with Hope's husband briefly sharing his thoughts on the process. I am not familiar with this couple. I didn't realize when I selected the book that they pastor a megachurch and are on Daystar TV, but you may already know that if you watch them. All in all, The Most Beautiful Disaster was an interesting story and I learned some things that I could apply to my life even though my challenges don't compare to hers.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman