To Disguise the Truth by Jen Turano

 


 

Eunice Holbrook is an heiress who went East and is trying to disguise herself in New York City so that she isn't recognized after someone tries to kill her grandfather as she thinks they may try to kill her too. To hide herself she wears widows veils and blends in with a new life and identity--until one day Arthur Livingston shows up at her detective agency to hire them to look for HER. 

In To Disguise the Truth by Jen Turano, Eunice is a complex character with an interesting past within a dysfunctional family. She also remembers Arthur Livingston because her grandfather wanted her to marry him and have him take over the family business. Neither Arthur nor Eunice were too keen on that idea. . .do they still feel that way?

I have not read the other books in the Bleeker Street Inquiry Agency series, but I enjoyed To Disguise the Truth as a stand alone. I am sure it would be even better if a reader has read the other two books in the series. I enjoyed the quick wit and the banter between the characters in this book. I also enjoyed getting to know most of the characters--not so much the bad guys, but the rest were interesting. There was some romance that was swoonworthy. This is mostly a clean book with a bit of a Bible verse towards the end of the book that comes from the grandmother's Bible. I liked how Turano wove that in to the book. I also enjoyed the mystery. Turano kept me guessing for a long time as to who the bad guy was. There were also some other surprises in To Disguise the Truth that made it fun to read and kept me turning pages quickly right through to the end. 

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe