Among the Innocent by Mary Alford

 

 

What do you get when you mix a book featuring Amish people with suspense? A new book called, Among the Innocent by Mary Alford.

Ten years ago, Leah Miller's entire Amish family was murdered. She thought the killer committed suicide. But was that the right guy? Miller, along with the new police detective Dalton Cooper, are faced with a new case where an Amish woman is murdered in the same way almost exactly 10 years later. 

Among the Innocent is my first book by Mary Alford. This book kept me turning pages quickly to find out who the real killer was. The plot was fast-paced and the story line moved along quickly. I liked the main characters, Leah and Dalton. However, I didn't think there was much romance to develop a relationship and I thought it happened a little too quickly.  I bring this up because it is labeled Romantic Suspense. . .and I think just "Suspense" would have worked better as a label. Anyway, I was more interested in finding out who the bad guy was so that was okay from my point of view.The spiritual element was woven in pretty well and that didn't feel forced, which I liked. I thought the book was well-written as a whole but the romance could have been a bit better as I already indicated. I would definitely read another book by Alford in the future. I don't read a lot of Amish fiction but Among the Innocent was different than the Amish books that I have read in the past and it certainly kept my interest.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe