Good Catastrophe by Benjamin Windle

 

Cover Art

Good Catastrophe by Benjamin Windle is based on the book of Job.

Good Catastrophe is indeed a unique take on Job. There are twelve chapters in this book that is about 200 pages in length. Windle weaves his thoughts back and forth from stories from today, from history and from the Bible and relates to the story of Job. He does also pull from J. R. R. Tolkein and his concept of :Eucatastrophe," which I did find interesting. Initially, I found the book encouraging and hope-giving. Then as I went along, honestly, I struggled to relate to some of his illustrations as being hopeful. I realize the ultimate hope in life is our hope in eternal life in Jesus, so that I get. At the same time, as someone who is in a difficult situation in this life, I don't honestly want to read illustrations that don't eat well and he had a few of those. I understood the point he was making most of the time. Other times, I didn't follow his thinking that well. This may just be me. Certainly, Good Catastrophe may be a book that may speak to you and is worth a try. With all of the good review, I think I am in the minority but I strive to be honest in my reflections. God uses different books for different people. The chapters are short and his writing is clear and straightforward, which I did like.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions within this review are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe