Summer in the Spotlight by Liz Johnson

 Cover Art

Summer in the Spotlight is the third book in the Prince Edward Island Shores series. I have been anxious to read this third and final book to the series by Liz Johnson. If you haven't read the other books, Summer in the Spotlight could still be enjoyable but it would be best read after the other books in the series.

Levi Ross is the youngest of the Ross brothers. He works as a custodian at the high school where he doesn't have to say much. Kelsey Ahern works as the drama teacher in the high school. After a hurricane damages the school and the theater where the drama department performs, Kelsey loses her job as budgets become strained. In an effort to save both her job and the beloved damaged theater where both she and her grandmother performed through the years, Kelsey directs the town in a benefit performance to restore the theater. Levi is recruited to help with the set and the props.

I enjoyed Summer in the Spotlight. My heart went out to Levi as I learned the real reason for his reticence to speak to others. Honestly, that revelation brought tears to my eyes. I also felt for Kelsey as she struggled with pain from her family issues and I could relate to those issues too. I think a lot of readers could relate to some of these family issues in some way as many of us come from imperfect families. I truly appreciate that Johnson creates characters that have realistic struggles. I did feel a bit of compassion for Levi's dad as I learned why he is the way he is today in the book but I still didn't find him very likeable. As in other books in the series, there are themes of love, forgiveness and redemption in this book. There are also times characters in this book demonstrated having good boundaries in relationships, which is important too. At the same time, I so enjoyed the slow-build romance between Levi and Kelsey. Some of the scenes with them were especially heartwarming to me as they brought out the best in each other. It was also fun to continue to follow characters from the first two books in the series. I found Summer in the Spotlight to be a satisfying conclusion to the series.

I received a copy of this book from Bethany House through Interviews & Reviews for my honest opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

Who Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? by Paula Faris Illustrated by Bhagya Madanasinghe