In a Word, Yes by Kit Tosello

 

In a Word, Yes by Kit Tosello is my first book by this author, but I know it won't be my last. This is the most touching book that I have read this year so far. It is definitely a five star read for me. It also doesn't hurt that part of the book is set in a tea store and in a bookstore--two of my favorite places!

Lucy Montgomery is a single mom raising an autistic son by herself for the past 5 years in Charity Falls, Oregon, after being married to an abusive husband. She started to get a journalism degree years ago and then left in the middle of the program. However, she works behind the scenes at the local newspaper and has some chances to write--if she will take them.

Wyatt Hayes is a local law enforcement officer who also enjoys writing, words and adventures. Lucy is drawn to his kind heart and adventurous spirit, along with his love of words. 

Carly Montgomery is Lucy's mom and a beloved woman's Bible study leader who is growing weary in her profession and wonders if God has something else in mind for her life. She has regrets from missing much of Lucy's life and wonders about turning that around?

As I already shared, I enjoyed In a Word, Yes so much! I loved getting to know Lucy and Wyatt. There is a slow burn romance but definitely some swoony kisses in the last part of the book. I also enjoyed getting to know Carly and Roger, Lucy's parents, and the quirky staff at the newspaper along with some other townspeople. I also have a heart for small town newspapers and miss ours as it is gone.

I could relate to so much of Lucy's story. I have a journalism degree and have often struggled with imposter syndrome related to my writing, which is what I think she does. I used to write for a newspaper too. I also have an autistic son. At one time, I was in an abusive relationship when I was younger, but have been married for the past 25 years to a great guy. I tell you this to say that the author writes a book that feels authentic, which I know from experience. There are also a couple of deaths in Lucy's family that affect some of the characters in the story but they aren't a main focus. This book has heart. There are light moments and there are serious moments. There is a thread of mercy and redemption running all through the In a Word, Yes. I would definitely recommend this contemporary fiction novel.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through JustRead Tours. All opinion are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dog that Whispered by Jim Kraus

Love Overboard by Shannon Sue Dunlap

Book Review: The Story Keeper by Lisa Wingate