After the Fall by Deborah Clack
After the Fall by Deborah Clack is the second book in the Shelter and Sky series. This book could be read as a stand-alone, but like most series books, would be even better if you read Even After This first.
Penelope Reid is currently working as Harlan Holcombe's manager. However, Penelope grew up in the foster care system and she has skills she thinks would help the girls at the ranch and she wants to give back so she hopes to become the manager of Twelve Bluebells Ranch, which is a halfway house for women who have aged out of the foster care system.
Luke works security for the ranch and is there to investigate some vandalism before Harlan and Meredith Harper's wedding. Luke had his own tough upbringing and he, too, got attached to the halfway house ladies at the ranch as he hopes to keep everyone safe--even after the wedding.
After the Fall had some light moments, but this book also dealt with some heavy topics. I could relate to Penelope's migraine headache stories as my mom got bad migraines and I often helped her deal with them as I was growing up. I thought the author handled this topic quite well. I don't know much about the foster care system or half-way houses but it all seemed to be written in such a way as it felt realistic. I read this book quickly and was interested in the plot all the way through to the end. There is some drama, some mystery and some romance. I couldn't put it down until I was done. I thought After the Fall was even better than the last. I am looking forward to the next book, Still Here After, which I think will tie up some of the loose ends from this book.
I received a copy of this book from the author/publisher. All opinions are my own.

Comments
Post a Comment