The Undercover Bookshop by Katherine Reay

 

Do you enjoy a good mystery? The Undercover Bookshop by Katherine Reay is set during 1950 and highlights how the World War left lingering issues and doubts among people. I have read several books by this author and I enjoy the way she weaves history into the story too.

The Undercover Bookshop is a mystery featuring amateur sleuth Gemma Brown as the main character. Gemma moved to a small Cotswold village of Great Rollright in England. She is a reader and loves a good mystery. However, she is not a good baker. After making some baking errors, Gemma spends time with Ursula Beurton, who is an award-winning baker in town. However, there is a lot more to her than baking. When  Gemma visits Ursula, things don't always add up. Soon Gemma is embroiled in a mystery for real--not just one she is reading in her detective novels.

I enjoyed getting to know Gemma. I also enjoyed her boyfriend, Charlie, as well as the other characters in the novel. Ursula was also likeable for the most part, even though she wasn't entirely who the reader thought she was. This was an interesting book. It was a mix of drama, history, mystery and a dash of romance. I found the ending to be interesting. There was more going on than I expected and part of the ending was a surprise to me. The Undercover Bookshop was another good read by Katherine Reay.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Uplit Reads. All opinions are my own.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dog that Whispered by Jim Kraus

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: Mistletoe and Malice by Lori DeJong

The Sound of Violet by Allen Wolf (10th Anniversary edition)