A Christmas by The Sea by Melody Carlson



It wasn't snowing this week, but we did have a dark, cool, rainy day that felt a little winterish. It felt close enough to the Christmas season that it was the perfect day to get my tea and curl up and read A Christmas by the Sea by Melody Carlson.

A Christmas by the Sea is the story of Wendy and her son Jackson Harper. After Wendy's husband died a few years before from cancer, Wendy was left with mounting debts. Then she inherits her grandparents' cottage in Seaside, Maine. Wendy sees this as a way to finally pay off her debts. However, Jackson sees it as a place to get a fresh start with fresh, new memories. Wendy wants her son to be happy but she doesn't know what else to do. But maybe God has something else in mind?

A Christmas by the Sea was a sweet feel-good novella. I enjoyed this story and genuinely liked the characters. However,  I did get a little frustrated by the communication struggles, but I have seen enough poor communication in families around me to find that the story was believable, especially since they felt they were helping someone by not sharing the complete truth. I do wish we could have had more romance going on but then this wouldn't be a novella like it was supposed to be. Yes, the ending was expected but this was just the kind of story I wanted on the dreary day that I read it. Sometimes we all need a little "feel good" stories in our life and this story doesn't disappoint on that end.

I received this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman